From: marcs <marcs@skyhunter.com>
Replying To: David Wagner <daw@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:39:22 -0700
Subject: Re: [e-lang] "Capability Myths Demolished" (was: Software security workshop)

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 03:17 pm, David Wagner wrote:
> Mark Miller writes:
> >If there are no C-lists-as-sets capability systems (plausible), and if
> >Dennis & Van Horn had full Granovetter invocation, then I see no remaining
> >useful distinction. So, contingent on further evidence, I withdraw my
> >suggestion.
>
> At risk of prolonging this longer than necessary,
> how about "true capabilities" vs. "Lampson-style capabilities",
> when one needs to make a distinction?

Actually, I think this discussion does need to be prolonged a little longer,
because the current situation is, for me personally, a disaster.  My full time
job these days is marketing E, which means marketing capabilities. Too often
to be ignored, when I use the word "capability", the security expert in the
cluster of people I am briefing will hear the word and lose interest, because
he thinks he already knows what it is, and that it is unimportant.

There are 3 things I can see to do from here:

1. Stop trying to market capabilities.  Get a job configuring firewalls and
wait 10-20 years until folks like jonathan get enough papers published, and
enough old academicians die, so that capabilities are credible (this is the
quantum theory strategy, as the physicists noted, the way quantum physics
"won" over newtonian physics was by waiting till enough respected geniuses
who couldn't accept it were dead). tyler

2. Invent a new word for what we have, acknowledging that "capability" has
been as badly distorted as the term "hacker".  I have actually tried to pursue
this strategy a couple of times, once on e-lang. However, I am just barely
smart enough so that, if I get my brains bashed in several times, I will stop
because it hurts so much. Consequently, I have stopped pursuing this; it
might take even more deaths to make this possible than it would take to
recover the term "capability" without adornment. tyler

3. Create a pair of adjectives, as David describes above.  The adjective
describing E-style capabilities should suggest that there is something
technical and sophisticated that the listener will immediately recognize is
something that he doesn't already know about. Neither the E-style nor the
non-E-style adjectives should be pejorative, otherwise it sounds like
religion not technology.

To meet the goals in #3, I like markm's term "lambda capabilities".  Attempting
to model the mind of a person who "thinks he knows what capabilities are" in
my own head, I believe that "lambda capability" would immediately sound
distinctive enough so that the person would continue to pay attention because
there might be something here that is new. I like "Granovetter capability" as
well, but it is too long.

Then there is the question of what a non-lambda capability should be called.
Since there seems to be considerable disputation possible about what Lampson
actually meant, as opposed to what people understood him to mean, I am
reluctant to use "Lampson capability". Besides, from a marketing perspective,
it is probably suicide to name the broken, defective alternative after a
person who is viewed practically as a god in some circles.

I think that David hit the crucial point right on the head when he said that
a lambda capability combines designation with authority.  Talking with markm
about where this might lead, I now propose that we call non-lambda,
non-designation capabilities "ambient capabilities".

So,  I am currently leaning toward using "lambda capability" versus "ambient
capability" when I talk to audiences that might include a computer security
expert, or that might talk to a security expert when they leave the meeting.
If someone has terminology they like better than lambda-vs-ambient that meets
my criteria, I am happy to switch. However, starting next week I am going to
start embodying this change in my standard pitch.... this is not merely of
academic interest to me, I am right this moment on the front line of the
educational effort, as I try to attract investment/procurement/sponsorship
for capability-related efforts :-) daw tribble

--marcs