From: David Wagner <daw@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:33:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [e-lang] "Capability Myths Demolished" (was: Software security workshop)

Marc Stiegler writes:
>3. Create a pair of adjectives, as David describes above. The adjective
>describing E-style capabilities should suggest that there is something
>technical and sophisticated that the listener will immediately recognize is
>something that he doesn't already know about. Neither the E-style nor the
>non-E-style adjectives should be pejorative, otherwise it sounds like
>religion not technology.
[...]
>So, I am currently leaning toward using "lambda capability" versus "ambient
>capability" when I talk to audiences that might include a computer security
>expert, or that might talk to a security expert when they leave the meeting.

Thank you, Marc, for your very encouraging note.   I was afraid that I
had completely failed to convey the message I wanted to send, but I see
now that you've been thinking carefully about these marketing issues.

I agree with your note, and I like your ideas better than mine.
"lambda capabilities" vs. "ambient capabilities" sounds like a great
choice to me.  (and undoubtedly far better than my proposal)

Like Marc, if someone has some other better pair of adjectives, I'm
happy to use them instead.   Hey, I'll use anything: just having a name
for the distinction is a big step forward, from my point of view!

Anyway, I'll step back now and watch the sparks fly.   Thanks again,
Marc, for understanding the essence of what I was trying to get at,
and I look forward to seeing your proposal debated on its merits.