From: Tyler Close <tyler@waterken.com>
Replying To: Mark Miller <markm@caplet.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:14:52 -0400
Subject: Re: [e-lang] "Capability Myths Demolished" (was: Software security workshop)

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 00:50, Mark Miller wrote:
> First, I wholeheartedly agree with Tyler on the facts:

Thanks for saying so. I am getting the feeling that I will need
more than just the facts on my side.

> Reaching further back in our history, we could include Hydra and Cap while
> still excluding Dennis and Van Horn by speaking of
> "invocation-capabilities" as distinct from the original
> "memory-capabilities".

I want to think about my reply more before sending it, but I have
one factual question now.

The Dennis and Van Horn system supported protected procedures that
look very much to me like E objects.  A sender could only invoke a
protected procedure by indexing a capability in its C-list. The
call was also parameterized with a single capability parameter,
also obtained by indexing the caller's C-list.

Given this mechanism, you can implement all the functionality of
the Granovetter diagram.   How can you draw a line between the
Dennis and Van Horn system and E? markm alan_karp

Tyler