From: Mark Miller <markm@caplet.com>
Replying To: Tyler Close <tyler@waterken.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 10:56:52 -0800
Subject: Re: [e-lang] "Capability Myths Demolished" (was: Software security workshop)

At 10:14 AM 12/4/2002 Wednesday, Tyler Close wrote:
>The Dennis and Van Horn system supported protected procedures that
>look very much to me like E objects. A sender could only invoke a
>protected procedure by indexing a capability in its C-list. The
>call was also parameterized with a single capability parameter,
>also obtained by indexing the caller's C-list.
>
>Given this mechanism, you can implement all the functionality of
>the Granovetter diagram.  How can you draw a line between the
>Dennis and Van Horn system and E?

I hadn't remembered this feature of Dennis and Van Horn.  Perhaps it was only
that their presentation was memory oriented rather than invocation oriented,
so I forgot the latter part. But if it was a difference only of
presentation, then I withdraw my point. I just don't remember this paper
well enough. tyler shap