From: Tyler Close <tyler@waterken.com>
Replying To: Ka-Ping Yee <ping@zesty.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 04:54:53 -0400
Subject: Re: [e-lang] Commentary on Wallach's "Extensible Security Architectures for Java"

On Friday 29 November 2002 19:31, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> A little while ago i took a security course from David Wagner in
> which we did weekly readings and summaries.  Mark noticed the paper
> summary i wrote for "Extensible Security Architectures for Java" [1]
> and thought it might be worth mentioning here.
>
> My comments on the paper are at:
>
>     http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~pingster/sec/wallach-java.html

I like it. Maybe we should put together a sort of "Hall of Shame",
where criticism of ACL papers is indexed. ping

> Upon looking back at it i think to myself, "Oh my!  Those comments
> were pretty harshly worded."  But perhaps you will find it interesting.

Heh.  You want harsh, here's harsh:

Study of the theory of ACLs is no more based in reality than is
study of the physics of Star Trek.  Compare theories on prohibiting
collaboration between communicating conspirators to theories on
time travel.

Tyler