From: "Withers, Robert" <rwithers@quallaby.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:42:34 -0500
Subject: RE: [e-lang] Serialization in Squeak-E (was: MAC calculation)

Hi Tyler,
comments below...

I seem to recall following some of the threads and remember this as an
important design goal.  Good.

[clip links]

so WOS runs on top of WOMP which runs over HTTP? tyler

> Implementing the WOMP in Squeak should not require much work,
> assuming Squeak has:
> HTTP server

yes

> SSL support

err....no,  I don't think it does...yet tyler cg

> XML library

several

> your implementation for exporting capabilities. Really, the only

and my eventual sending framework, yes.   Could a synchronous mechanism could
be used to export capabilities or is the eventual sending a core part of
making them work?

> If you implement the WOMP, then it would be possible for Squeak
> programmers to immediately start producing applications that
> export a capability secure interface.

Given the lack of SSL, I think that implementing CapTP is the shortest path
to an operational system.   Following that, addressing the synchronization
issue becomes quite important for interoperability.  I would like to propose
a common serialization used over CatTP, since I am much closer to
DH_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA1, and don't need the full x509 support.  Of
course, it seems we may have x509, now... tyler

cheers,
robert