From: Tyler Close <tyler@waterken.com>
Replying To: Withers, Robert <rwithers@quallaby.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:57:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [e-lang] Serialization in Squeak-E (was: MAC calculation)

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 13:42, Rob Withers wrote:
> > From: Tyler Close [mailto:tyler@waterken.com]
> > SSL support
>
> err....no, I don't think it does...yet

> Given the lack of SSL, I think that implementing CapTP is the shortest path
> to an operational system.  Following that, addressing the synchronization
> issue becomes quite important for interoperability.  I would like to
> propose a common serialization used over CatTP, since I am much closer to
> DH_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA1, and don't need the full x509 support.  Of
> course, it seems we may have x509, now...

If you don't have SSL, then continuing with CapTP would be the
most efficient path.  I wish the network protocol of CapTP was
already stripped out and easily reusable. Putting WOMP on a CapTP
like network protocol, instead of SSL, is an important goal. rwithers

> so WOS runs on top of WOMP which runs over HTTP?

WOMP runs over any protocol that can meet its requirements. Only
an HTTP binding has been defined so far.  WOS is independent of
WOMP and HTTP. WOS only relies on the document model. As Mark was
indicating, it could still be used as a common serialization
format.

Tyler