From: Tyler Close <tyler@waterken.com>
Replying To: Withers, Robert <rwithers@quallaby.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:52:02 -0400
Subject: Re: [e-lang] Serialization in Squeak-E (was: MAC calculation)

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 11:27, Rob Withers wrote:
> Tyler,
>
> Do you have a link that I could read up on this?   This sounds interesting,
> if it is language neutral.  My current plan is to get to this particular
> finish line as quickly as possible, which means Squeak binary
> serialization, no suspended or redirected connections, and CapTP.
> bada-bing.

The WOMP was expressly designed to be language neutral and to
facilitate interoperation between capability systems. rwithers

The WOS is implemented in two layers, a document layer, and an
object to document serialization layer.  The document layer is
defined at:

http://waterken.com/dev/Doc/

The object serialization specification (WOS) is at:

http://waterken.com/dev/Web/Object/

The WOMP is defined at:

http://waterken.com/dev/Web/Message/

The HTTP binding for the WOMP is defined at:

http://waterken.com/dev/Web/HTTP/

Implementing the WOMP in Squeak should not require much work,
assuming Squeak has: HTTP server, SSL support, XML library,  and
your implementation for exporting capabilities. Really, the only
remaining step is to implement the WOS for serializing Squeak
objects to XML. At this point, Squeak and Waterken servers would
be interoperable. rwithers

> I want to get into the event-loop and start implementing some of the
> special constructs like dead-man switch and so on.  I wanted protocol
> negotiation and encryption to be the same (VatTP), but I am deferring
> serialization until the next 'cycle'.

If you implement the WOMP,  then it would be possible for Squeak
programmers to immediately start producing applications that
export a capability secure interface. rwithers

> I'll try to respond in more detail this evening before the Thanksgiving
> break.

I look forward to it.

Tyler