Don’t worry ... there doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with the fonts after all. At least, nothing that’s causing my build (1.3cvs btw) to crash. It’s hard to say what the problem might be - extra fonts I don’t have, library / compiler incompatibilities between the gzillion different versions of compilers and libs that you seem to end up with on Solaris 10, or something else entirely.
In terms of what I needed to install, I do have the sunfreeware.com gcc installed, I’m just using the /usr/sfw/bin/g++ one since it seems less problematic here. I have a lot of other sunfreeware.com packages installed too, including libjpeg, libtiff, libpng, libxml, fontconfig, freetype, perl, autoconf, automake, m4, and others.
I’ve already detailed how to get Qt to build without needing gcc from sunfreeware.com . It looks like Scribus builds fine with the same compiler, too (and needs a similar workaround for weird macros).
I did have to make a few tweaks, including a workaround in sciten.h where there was a macro defined for `DS’ that was causing issues ; I #indef’d it in that file and that took care of that. I need to track down where those defines are coming from.
For some reason, admin/install-sh was lacking execute permissions, so I had to `chmod a+x’ that.
The only other Scribus compile issue I ran into is that, at least on my system, /usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.la is an empty *file*, resulting in an error like this from libtool:
libtool: link: `/usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.la’ is not a valid libtool archive
I just copied /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.la from the sunfreeware.com compiler to /usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.la. Yes, this is horrible and scary ... but appears to have worked. I’d like to find out what was going on properly later.
With that done it all built and installed fine. I did have to set a sane UI font using qtconfig to solve a font issue (unrelated to yours I suspect) when creating new documents, but once that was done it all worked fine.
It’s still horribly ugly - I don’t have RENDER support in Qt yet - and there are other issues, but it seems to work ok. I’ll document the install process a bit better on the wiki later.