From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Replying To: David Chizmadia <vze2729k@verizon.net>
Date: 11 Dec 2002 11:16:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [e-lang] Modelling Blindness (was: "Capability Myths Demolished" (was: Software security workshop))

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 23:31, David Chizmadia wrote:

> As a general observation, I think that shortly after Tyler
> unleashes his paper arguing that Lampson had a "naive"
> understanding of capabilities ...

I've said this before, but I don't think I've said it clearly enough.

To be useful,  the paper that Tyler is contemplating needs to be
published in a forum that carries standing comparable to that of the 5th
Princeton Security Workshop (which is where the Lampson paper was
published). There is no point shouting in a room where the audience is
not present. With apologies to David, this means that the appropriate
target conference for such a paper is the Oakland conference (IEEE
Symposium on Security and Privacy).

The problem with publishing this at DocSec is that (a) it won't have any
impact and  (b) it will make publication in a more rigorous venue
impossible on the grounds that the publication lacks novelty.

I'm not endorsing this state of affairs; merely making note of it.

shap