From: "Karp, Alan" <alan_karp@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:08:12 -0800
Subject: RE: [e-lang] "Capability Myths Demolished" (was: Software secur ity workshop)

I got confused about some stuff in Lampson and asked Tyler to help me out.  I sent a private note, because I could see the list going down a giant rat hole otherwise.    In his response, Tyler wrote a single sentence that to me captured the essence of capabilities.  When I mentioned it to MarkM, he suggested I send it to the list.

Tyler Close wrote:

> This means the lookup in the C-list has to
> happen *before* the message is sent.

I know that, and you know that, but I haven't seen the point made that explicit before.  Perhaps we should make this criterion the acid test.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Decision Technology Department
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories MS 1141