From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Replying To: David Wagner <daw@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:07:05 -0500
Subject: Re: [e-lang] "Capability Myths Demolished" (was: Software security workshop)

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 19:41, David Wagner wrote:
> >As MarcS has pointed out, Butler Lampson has a god-like position
> >within the security community.
>
> Maybe so, but speaking personally, when it comes to science,
> I prefer to avoid putting too much faith in god-figures.  Sacred
> cows make the tastiest hamburgers. :-)

That's only because pigs in a poke are traif.

> All in all, I'm not sure I would have picked up the key ideas of
> this community without the personal nudging, one-on-one explanations,
> and patience of people like Mark Miller and others here.
> One-on-one interactions are great, but they don't scale, which
> is why I wish there was a good paper to pass on the word to others,
> as much as possible.

I agree with all of your points, and I have suggested several times to
MarkM that he, I, and perhaps Jonathan Rees  (and yourself, if you like)
should jointly author a definitive paper on lambda capabilities. One
problem with writing such a paper is that most of the content is already
in the literature, which presents some challenges for publication. marcs

Where would you go with such a paper? JCS? Oakland? It smells to me more
like a journal thing than a conference thing.

shap