From: "Karp, Alan" <alan_karp@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:04:44 -0800
Subject: RE: [e-lang] "Capability Myths Demolished" (was: Software securit y workshop)

Mark Miller wrote:

>                        But even then, I don't believe that "the
> misconceptions resulting from the Lampson paper will automatically
> dissipate."  For a long time, I expect we'll have to track
> them down one by
> one and kill them too.

A recent quote in Scientific American says it nicely.  "Science makes progress one funeral at a time."

By the way, I second the call for Tyler to write on this subject, but I suggest an article for CACM or IEEE Computer.  These magazines take articles that are less formal than journal papers, but they reach a larger audience.  They also generate useful discussions in their letters sections.  Of course, a formal article is a good idea, too.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Decision Technology Department
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories MS 1141