From: "Rob Withers" <rwithers12@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:21:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [e-lang] [VatTP] MAC calculation

From: "Mark Miller" <markm@caplet.com>
> I don't have anything technical to contribute to this discussion at this
> point, but I just wanted to express my extreme satisfaction and appreciation
> at the progress you're making!!  It'll be great to have E-on-Java and
> Squeak-E talking to each other!

Mark, thank you for the encouragement!  I am running my own show here and it
is slow going, but I really believe that this is very powerful stuff.   I
approach this from having a computing experience where you are really
interacting with the system, like you guys, and this really takes it to the
next level.  While class hierarchies and the ability to add extension
methods to any class in the system, and tweaking bytecodes, and ... are
wonderful, the tools used to analyze and poke at a running system are ripe
for exploration.  Allowing active object graphs the facility to be boundless
in a network, yet bounded by POLA capabilities, is very interesting to me.
It will be interesting to analyze, and a remote debugging capablity will be
critical.  Whatever serialization we settle on :), we should look into
whether we could exchange processes, lambdas, and contexts.

> What's the current state of Squeak support for the Java serialization
> format?

heh, why would we want to do java when we can do squeak?   Everyone is a
refugee here.  ;-)   sorry, there's no support for java serialization.

> Do you expect to use it for the initial CapTP experiments?

I promise I will use all java serialization available in squeak: none.   (how
does smart contracts deal with that assertion?)  For the rest I will use
Reference stream, which pickles a graph of objects, with a forward reference
table..one pass.    It wouldn't be that hard for E to support, would it?  :)

It would be nice to have the serialization algorithm become part of the next
rev of the startup negotition, wouldn't it?   XML, squeak reference, java
serialization, term trees, ..

Auditors is very interesting work.  I'd like to support those somehow.

cheers,
robert