From: Tyler Close <tyler@waterken.com>
Replying To: Withers, Robert <rwithers@quallaby.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:28:13 -0400
Subject: Re: [e-lang] Serialization in Squeak-E (was: MAC calculation)

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 18:05, Rob Withers wrote:
> Tyler,  I think the network protocol is in VatTP, like you use HTTPS.
> CapTP is the application protocol, like your WOMP and the serialization is
> one of {WOS, Java, Squeak}.

Yes, the analogy between CapTP's use of VatTP and WOMP's use of
HTTPS is right. I should have used the more specific name.

I haven't looked at the CapTP/VatTP code in a long time.  When I
last touched it, I don't think the serialization protocol was
negotiable. Has this already been changed?

It's on my TODO list to get WOMP on VatTP, or something like
VatTP, but for now,  the interoperability benefits of SSL are much
more important. That any XSLT, perl, python script or web browser
can interoperate with a WOMP server is a big deal to me.
Implementing just VatTP wouldn't get me anywhere but talking to
myself. If you do the full CapTP/VatTP you get E and soon Squeak.
It would be nice if WOMP was a lowest common denominator amongst
even E and Squeak, but it doesn't make sense to implement SSL to
get that. At some point, we'll have to figure out how to get VatTP
into XSLT, perl, python, web browsers, etc.

> Other than the state machine, you
> need to know msg content and all the handshaking and finally the
> encryption.   I have this extracted and am fast approaching completion, so
> perhaps you could use what I have learned.   Here is my state machine,
> still only partially tested:

Thanks. I'll save it for a rainy day.

Tyler