From: Bill Frantz <frantz@pwpconsult.com>
Replying To: Mark Miller <markm@caplet.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:18:05 -0800
Subject: RE: [e-lang] [VatTP] MAC calculation

At 9:40 PM -0800 11/20/02, Mark Miller wrote:
>At 05:06 PM 11/20/2002 Wednesday, Bill Frantz wrote:
>>I don't know that we are using suspend/resume these days.  We used it in
>>original E.
>
>If you're not using it in VatTP, then I'm confused.  I though VatTP uses
>suspend/resume to multiplex a larger number of VatTP connections on a
>smaller number of TCP connections.  If a Vat's TCP connections are at their
>budget limit and a new one is needed, then, like a virtual memory system
>multiplexing a large number of virtual pages on a smaller number of physical
>pages, I thought your code was suspending some less-recently-used VatTP
>connection, freeing its TCP resources, in order to allocate a new TCP
>connection to the new VatTP connection.  Similarly, when there's a need to
>use a suspended VatTP connection, some other less-recently-used live VatTP
>connection would be suspended in order to allocate a TCP connection to the
>revived VatTP connection and stay within budget.

I'm depending on vague memories.  The code to implement suspend/resume is
in VatTP, but I don't think anything calls it.

There is a method in DataConnection called suspend whose comments say that
it is public for testing,  and may become non-public unless there it public
outcry.  A quick glance indicates that it is the method that starts link
suspension.  If no one calls it, then we aren't using suspend/resume in the
current system.

Cheers - Bill